KTM Duke 200 Servicing: Valve Clearance

KTM Duke 200 Valve Clearance_2 KTM Duke 200 Valve Clearance_3 KTM Duke 200 Valve Clearance_4 KTM Duke 200 Valve Clearance_5 KTM Duke 200 Valve Clearance_7 KTM Duke 200 Valve Clearance_8

It is important to do regular valve clearance and bike servicing to maintain the working condition of your bike’s engine. What exactly is valve clearance, you may ask.

For starters, valve clearances are the small gaps between the tops of the valve stems and the part of the mechanism which presses on them to open the valves. If the valves are on the set on the correct clearance setting, you get a quieter running engine, maximum cam lift and duration. This ensures that the engine runs at its optimal performance.

As wear and tear sets in on the valve seats, the clearances tighten up further and the valves are held open, especially as the engine gets hot, further closing up the clearances. If the valves are held open even one-hundredth of a millimeter, the hot gases of combustion are forced through like a blowtorch, burning the seats and valves.

If they’re too loose then performance suffers due to the reduced cam duration and lift. The engine will be noisy. The wider gaps can also cause wear on the cam lobes and buckets as well as the valve seats. If the clearance is too tight, the valve cannot close properly, causing a loss in power and possibly damaging the engine.

If you’re unsure of whether your bike requires valve clearing, drop by Speedzone today to chat with our friendly technicians or drop us a line to find out more about KTM Duke 200 servicing today!

9 Response Comments

• AzrynAugust 3, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Hello,

What’s the recommendation mileage interval for valve clearance on Duke 200? Can this be done within a day with normal servicing? And how much? Tks!!!

Regards,
    Azryn

• Romarie Shayne EsguerraSeptember 7, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Hey Azryn,

Thanks for the comment!

For the valve clearance, generally the recommended mileage is abt 10000km usually it will takes atleast 1 day for the procedure and it cost abt $250 : )
    For the normal servicing (Engine oil and Oil filter change) it ranges from $49-$79 depending on the brand of engine oil and which will only take about an hour : )

If you need more information regarding this feel free to let us know!
    Best if u can drop by to our shop too!

Cheers!

• JoniDecember 14, 2016 at 12:56 pm

My rpm engine timing (idling) is not stable, up and down and sometime very low and the engine will off. But when I ride it’s ok no problem. What is the problem and how to solve it?

• JoniDecember 14, 2016 at 12:57 pm

My KTM Duke 200 rpm engine timing (idling) is not stable, up and down and sometime very low and the engine will off. But when I ride it’s ok no problem. What is the problem and how to solve it?

• Muhammad Rizwan Bin AmirullahMay 17, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Bro lokasi dimana? Valve clearence rm250 for duke 200? Pm me 0124539198

• Aravindan BabuJuly 17, 2017 at 2:06 am

Hi ,
    My Duke 200 sounds little abnormal like clicking during idling …that too during an internal of 2seconds during idling alone…But the bike rides good,no power drop , nice mileage.But the sound comes..what can possibly be the problem?????

• thomSeptember 21, 2018 at 5:43 pm

Hi,

It would be alot easier for us to check the bike in person to see what could be the issue you are facing with your duke 200.
      You can visit us at Speedzone Motoring Pte Ltd, 13 Kaki bukit road 4, Bartley Biz Centre, #01-24, Singapore 417807.
      Alternatively, you can call us at 6225 6225.

• RD SinghApril 2, 2018 at 9:24 am

My Duke 200 did not start 2 months back when I travelled and did not disconnect battery. Then I charged the battery, but seemed some loose connection. I took to a Mechanic and he said it was battery problem, I changed battery and this is second battery changed within a year. I washed my bike yesterday and now again all comes on but as I press start switch some sort of short circuit happens. I Want to fix this, don’t want to tow again to same guy and find out later that the problem is not fixed like last time… any suggestions

• thomSeptember 21, 2018 at 5:34 pm

Hi,

We have dropped you an email with regards to the issue you are facing with your duke.